Saturday 1 January 2011

HARAJUKU VIBES...

I've always been very fascinated and inspired by the way the boys and girls of Harajuku - Tokyo dress. Blame it on Gwen Stefani but since she put Harajuku on the mass-media-map I've been hooked. I love how they go against every fashion rule and aren't afraid to mix colours , prints, embellishment & somehow pull it off with one big dose of confidence - though not at all in a vulgar way! 
That in mind , I was pulling a selection of vintage clothing for the band I style when I came across an incredible limited edition white satin bomber jacket with embellished strawberry print detailing. The jacket dates back to the 70s and John Lennon had one exactly like it. I used it in the shoot and it was amazing - however I couldnt help but give it a whirl during my Sunday grocery shop. What was most incredible was people's reactions. Some laughed, some smiled, one woman stopped to compliment it. I didn't go down the total Harajuku path and styled it down with jeans and a tee so that it would speak for itself. I love how it matched my amazing new WESC* speakers though! At 400quid though its on its way back to Beyond Retro.

BEYOND RETRO Limited edition Bomber Jacket - www.beyondretro.com
UNIQLO Tee - www.uniqlo.com
TOPMAN rosary beads - www.topman.com 
H&M skinny jeans - www.hm.com
ASH trainers - www.ash-footwear.co.uk 
WESC* headphones - www.wesc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment